GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Thursday 2 April 2009

POST #020 Barney Kessel on Improvising and Making Mistakes

“I had a lot of solos to play,” Kessel recalled to Gitler. “I just sort of closed my eyes and played whatever came to me, freely, whatever it was.”


“I hadn’t been to a jam session in about two months,” he recalled, “and I went to a jam session in Chicago... When I sat down to play, I realized that my reflexes weren’t there, that if I thought of something it didn’t come out right away; so something within me told me that I must get back to the way I was before and dare to make a mistake and dare to play freely, and that’s the only way to get good at playing. The only way of getting good at making things up on the spot is to constantly make things up on the spot. That was an insight to me.” - Barney Kessel

( Practice making things up on the spot... Barney sharing an interesting anacdote with Herb before both playing freely and making things up on Body and Soul. - Ed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...