Monday, 31 January 2011
POST # 481 MYSTERY CASE No 24 "WHO" am I ???
G'day Guitar Eureka Detectives!
You are given 10 clues to the identity of this mystery person , see how many clues you require to guess the correct answer, have fun!
1. I was was born in Detroit, Michigan , July 31st 1939.
2. I grew up in a musical family in which my mother played piano and sang in the Second Baptist Church choir and my father favored the banjo and ukulele.
3. I began began playing guitar at age 12 and quickly fell under the influence of such artists as Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Oscar Moore, T-Bone Walker, and Muddy Waters.
4. While a student at Wayne State University, I made my debut recording as a member of Dizzy Gillespie's sextet in 1951.
5. I made my recorded debut as a leader on the 1956 Blue Note session.
6. I recorded for Blue Note and Prestige and have played with everyone from John Coltrane, Duke Ellington to Jimmy Smith Bill Evans and many others.
7. During the 1950's I mainly played Gibson ES 175 with single neck P-90.
8. My amps includes Fender tweed, Fender Deluxe, Twin-Reverb, Super Reverb and solid state Polytone. Heritage also makes a signature amp for me.
9. Both Duke Ellington and B B King have sighted me as one of their favourate guitarists.
10. Stevie Ray Vaughan did a cover of my composition "Chitlins Con Carne".
I am ??????
I am also known to have played GIBSON L5CES with Charlie Christian pickups, D'angelico New Yorker, Epiphone Emperor (both with floating DeArmond pickups) and Gibson Super 400CES.
Currently Heritage guitars made a signature model based on my trademark sixties Super 400.
I serve as Director of Jazz Studies at UCLA and teaches a course entitled "Ellingtonia", examining the life and accomplishments of Duke Ellington.