GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Monday 10 August 2009

POST # 146 Martin Taylor on Teaching Guitar

Yeah, you can learn to play it note for note, but that's superficial. There's more to it. I don't want to teach, "First you do this, then you do that," but "Why did I play it like that? What brought me to that? What am I trying to do? What emotions am I trying to get across?", because I've see myself as a storyteller when I play. It's all storytelling and things that you can do harmonically and rhythmically to create emotions in people, in the listener. There are actually kind of devices that you learn that you can do with key changes that you can suddenly...It's like suddenly a cloud goes away and the sun comes out and you learn how to do things like that musically and harmonically.

It's completely different. If anybody says to me, "Show me how to play your arrangement of 'I've Got Rhythm'," I'll just say, "No. Get a video. Get the DVD and see it. You can play the guitar. You can learn it from there." But why did I do it? What's the thought behind it? What am I trying to convey and how am I doing that? And then take that and do what you do. - Martin Taylor

( Give a man a fish.... - Ed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...