Thursday, 27 August 2009
POST # 163 Guitar Eureka's First Gear Review!
Ok I don't normally post gear reviews/news etc but I just recently acquired this guitar and thought I'd do a quick review.
PRS SE SOAPBAR
Serial Number starts with "D" denoting its a 2004 model, must be right before the Gibson Lawsuit because soon after the SOAPBAR II came out with the double cutaways.
1. PICKUPS, P 90s great bluesy sound, very musical both the bridge and neck, the in-between sound is fantastic too.
2. NECK, vintage fatter style, comfortable.
3. FINISH and WORKMANSHIP: Excellent
4. PLABILITY / SETUP: Excellent
5. STRAP BUTTONS : Nice and Big and WIDE
6. BODY CONTOURS : At back of guitar, comfy.
7. GIG BAG : Well padded better then average and practical with big pockets.
8. PRICE: Good Value
1. TONE CONTROL : No effect until you get to '3' then there is a noticeable roll off
2. BRIDGE : Can't adjust intonation
3. TONE/VOLUME : Extra set for each pickup would be nice
4. NECK : Gloss finish, would prefer natural finish to play faster especially considering its a fatter neck.
5. NUT : Little bit too protruding for me on top E string when playing open position chords.
6. WEIGHT : Little bit on the heavy side for an all mahogany guitar.
OVERALL : Despite a few minor gripes I am loving this guitar. Always love P90's and this have a very raw but musical sound. Its like a wild animal thats just barely been contained! I think it's a love it or hate it sound and if you are looking for something unique you might want to check it out. It's got mojo for days. Great for my playing which is usually clean or just bit overdriven. Its a keeper for sure plus they are relatively inexpensive.