GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Friday 29 May 2009

POST # 077 George Lynch on Absorbing Influences

The difference between then and now is that back then, nobody was hearing anyone else and copying them. That didn’t start until Eddie came along. Then everybody wanted to be Eddie, just like later everybody wanted to be Yngwie. Before that every player had his own unique approach and style. – George Lynch

I’ve done that with a lot of players. Instead of copying them, I react to them. I’ll think, “Well, Di Meola does this thing. I can do some alternate picking, so I won’t copy it but I’ll embed that little bit into my tool box and do it my own way……I’ve tried to do that with any player who has influenced me….I couldn’t play any of their stuff note-for-note to save my life, but I can capture the gist of what they’re doing by being exposed to it. I can get the essence. The guys who do the note-for-note thing do themselves a disservice because they erase their own voice. It makes it much more difficult to do their own thing. That’s definitely something I try to teach: if you can’t play other people’s stuff note-for-note, you need to take pride in that. – George Lynch

( Assimilate then innovate! - Ed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...