GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Wednesday 1 July 2009

POST # 110 Joe Pass on Listening to other Instruments for Influences

" Yes, but at one point I sort of drifted towards listening to pianists, Bud Powell, Al Haig and Art Tatum. I remember when Art Tatum had a trio with Tiny Grimes. I thought Wow!' I listened to Tiny, but it was the piano - that was the one. And then I listened to a lot of horn players - Charlie Parker, Dizzy, Stan Getz and Coleman Hawkins, and I got more influenced by horn players than anyone else." - Joe Pass

( Here Chick Corea introduces a clip of Art Tatum in a playful mood with his trio. I remeber once reading in the Oscar Peterson autobiography and I am just paraphrasing here... that Joe Pass is one of his favourate 'piano' players! Meaning that although a guitarist, Joe's jazz lines are not confined to typical guitar licks and draws inspiration from all the jazz greats of other instruments including jazz pianists. -Ed )



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...