GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Friday 17 July 2009

POST # 126 John Coltrane on Mile Davis and Modal Jazz

"I found Miles in the midst of another stage of musical development." he said. "It seemed that he was moving . . . to the use of fewer and fewer chord changes in songs. He used tunes with free-flowing lines and chordal direction.
"In fact, due to the direct and free-flowing lines in his music, I found it easy to apply the harmonic ideas that I had. I could stack up the chords . . . I could play three chords at once. But on the other hand, if I wanted to, I could play melodically. Miles music gave me plenty of freedom. . ." - John Coltrane

( I love modal jazz, its hypnotic with the (almost) static chord progressions...like a meditation gives the soloist a lot of freedom to explore. Here we got Miles and Trane doing So What and Martino covering Trane's Impressions - Ed)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...