GUITAR EUREKA !

GITARRE EUREKA! GUITARE EUREKA! GITAAR EUREKA! CHITARRA EUREKA! ギター EUREKA! κιθάρα EUREKA! 기타 EUREKA! GUITARRA ERUREKA! гитара EUREKA! 吉他 EUREKA!

Wednesday 22 July 2009

POST # 131 Pat Martino on Wes Montgomery's Later Recordings

When Wes' Riverside era ended, my personal feelings were based on judgmental concerns. I was critical of anything that went against an artist's aesthetics, and Wes' Riverside days were the aesthetic ones. And then suddenly there was more interest in the sense of production, the industrial. At the time, I was sorry to hear that was taking place. But another part of me thought of how he had to take care of his family. That more or less threw me back into reality and made me realize what a beautiful person he was. The end result was a broader opinion of what life was all about. I was small-minded in those years. My main concern was jazz guitar and nothing more. But being interested in Wes holistically, as a person as well as a player, as a leader as well as a great musician, made me realize that he could adapt to a number of identities. The whole thing spilled out and I began to be interested in a broader context.The honesty of Wes' music was very important to me. He wasn't a competitive image to chase. Most young players find that necessary in our culture, but the way he was as a person neutralized that entire dilemma. I was much more interested in being a better human being, and he was the core of that entire issue. I wish kids had the opportunity to be what I was and to see who I saw in those days. He helped me grow up and be more sensitive amidst insensitivity. Wes was the best person I ever met. - Pat Martino

( If an artist's music reflects true aspects of themselves, then its not suprising to find them to be inspirational as individuals. Pat Martino pays tribute to Wes on Four on Six. - Ed )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...